Current:Home > InvestStandoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension -VitalWealth Strategies
Standoff over: Colts, Jonathan Taylor agree to three-year, $42M extension
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 16:59:09
Fences have been mended between the Indianapolis Colts and running back Jonathan Taylor.
The Colts and Taylor agreed to a three-year, $42 million contract extension, including $26.5M guaranteed, a person familiar with the situation told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
The deal makes Taylor one of the NFL’s highest-paid running backs.
Taylor is slated to make his season debut Sunday when the Colts take on the Tennessee Titans in Indianapolis. The running back had been on the PUP list to begin the season due to an ankle injury.
Saturday’s extension marks an end to a lengthy saga between Taylor and the Colts. Owner Jim Irsay, who engaged in war of words with Taylor's agent Malki Kawa, took to X to announce his excitement over the news.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Taylor had requested a trade this offseason after the two sides failed to reach an extension in what was a difficult offseason for running backs attempting to cash in. The Colts acquiesce to Taylor’s trade ask but the organization didn’t find another team that met their trade demands. Taylor was subsequently placed on the PUP-list, which requires players to miss at least four games.
The Colts activated Taylor from the PUP-list Saturday and simultaneously news broke of his lucrative extension.
Why did Colts gave Jonathan Taylor three-year, $42 million contract extension?
Taylor is easily the Colts best player on offense, even with promising rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson. Taylor was the NFL rushing leader (1,811) and led the league in rushing touchdowns (18) in 2021. He was also named a first-team All-Pro after the 2021 season. He has produced 3,841 rushing yards and 33 rushing touchdowns in 43 career games.
Taylor’s return to the backfield will ease the burden off Richardson and also form a dynamic combination with the dual-threat rookie quarterback.
"I know he's a great player and I know I can do some things pretty well," Richardson said to reporters this week. "Just trying to combine those two things, I can only imagine what it's like but we won't see until it actually happens. We'll see and I'm excited."
The Colts drafted Taylor in the second round of the 2020 NFL draft out of Wisconsin.
Follow USA TODAY Sports' Tyler Dragon on X @TheTylerDragon.
veryGood! (22225)
Related
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- Remi Bader Drops New Revolve Holiday Collection Full of Sparkles, Sequins, and Metallics
- Three arrested in a shooting at a Texas flea market that also killed a child and wounded 4 others
- A man arrested over death of a hockey player whose neck was cut with skate blade is released on bail
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Salman Rushdie receives first-ever Lifetime Disturbing the Peace Award
- Gwyneth Paltrow says her husband is similar to late Bruce Paltrow: 'I finally chose my dad'
- An ethnic resistance group in northern Myanmar says an entire army battalion surrendered to it
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- John Legend Reveals How Kids Luna and Miles Are Adjusting to Life as Big Siblings to Esti and Wren
Ranking
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Madagascar’s president seeks reelection. Most challengers are boycotting and hope voters do, too
- Texans LB Denzel Perryman suspended three games after hit on Bengals WR Ja'Marr Chase
- Driver charged in death of New Hampshire state trooper to change plea to guilty
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Adam Johnson Death Investigation: Man Released on Bail After Arrest
- Police say a US tourist died when a catamaran carrying more than 100 people sank in the Bahamas
- Tallulah Willis Says Dad Bruce Willis Is Her Whole Damn Heart in Moving Message
Recommendation
Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
Illegal border crossings into the US drop in October after a 3-month streak of increases
Lease of Gulf waters delayed by whale protection debate must continue, court rules
Georgia jumps to No. 1 in CFP rankings past Ohio State. Michigan and Florida State remain in top 4
Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
A man was arrested in the death of a hockey player whose neck was cut with a skate blade during a game
Kourtney Kardashian Subtly Hints She Welcomed Baby Boy With Travis Barker
Detroit officer to stand trial after photojournalists were shot with pellets during a 2020 protest